Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Narrowing Down

In my last post, i discussed some basic background information on artificial sweeteners. Now, i will narrow my topic down and discuss what i plan on researching.....

I just read an article from MSNBC about a study that was done recently (as of last year). It says that people who drink lots of diet soda (which we all know contains those artificial sweeteners) do not face a higher risk in life than those of us who do not. This basically contradicts everything i planned on studying. Awesome! It says that there is no increased risk for cancer with people that drink even several diet drinks a day. However, the Center for Science in the Public Interest still warns the general public about potential hazards of artificial sweetener use, that do not involve cancer. As a result of this article, the research i will be doing will be based on these potential hazards, discluding cancer.

I read something about some different effects of artificial sweeteners that i had not thought about. Artificial sweeteners have been linked to dementia, depression, migraines, birth defects, seizures, behavior changes, anemia, sexual disfunction, thyroid disfunction, and more. I am so interested in these things because it can really help improve everyone's health. I suffer from migraines quite often, and knowing that they may be caused by these artificial sweeteners is interesting. I personally do not take in a lot of these sweeteners, but sugar in general might also be a cause of my migraines.

So, when you walk past the "sugar free" desserts in the grocery store, REMEMBER that they still have some sort of sugar!! And that removing white sugar and replacing it with artificial sugar is hardly an improvement!

1 comment:

Always Wear Your Safety Goggles said...

Woah Sarah! this looks really interesting! tell me what you find out so I can tell my Youth Group leader at church- he Drinks atleast a 12 pack of diet coke every day. I went to brunch with him the other day and he had 4 glasses of diet coke, and he already had 2 earlier that morning. Its so gross. So yea, let me know what you find out so I can tell him! Thank you :)