Monday, December 3, 2007

My "Reflective" Paragraph

Most people like sugar and sweets, but many are not aware of their affects on our bodies. There are two types of sugars: nutritive and non-nutritive. The nutritive sweeteners provide energy and have calories. The non-nutritive sweeteners do not provide energy and do not have calories. I am focusing my research on the artificial sweeteners, or the non-nutritive sweeteners.

Artificial sweeteners are low-calorie substances that are used to replace sugars and other sweeteners. They come in many forms, such as saccharin, cyclamate, aspartame, alitame, neotame, and acesulfame-K. There is a lot of research today about how these artificial sweeteners can be beneficial or detrimental to our health. The artificial sweeteners are said to be helpful in controlling weight and insulin levels. However, there are cases in which these artificial substances may cause human cancers. Specifically, studies showed that cyclamate and saccharin caused bladder cancer in laboratory animals. Although this does not provide clear evidence for humans, it is necessary to be aware of the potentially harmful effects.

With this information, I will probably narrow my information down to just cancer and artificial sweeteners. Or, I might compare the harmful and beneficial effects of artificial sweeteners. I found a good amount of information on this topic.

1 comment:

Ms. V said...

Wow, Sarah, you're such an excellent writer. Also, the "blog" seems to be a natural place for your writing because you can express your voice so well.
Anyway, I LOVE the idea of this topic and I'm so glad you're looking into it. I'm curious about how these substances have made it so universally in the food world - if they are possibly harmful. Who is letting this stuff into all our foods?!! I'm worried about how it will affect us 20 years from now. Chemicals at their Scariest! (Believed to be okay, but potentially harmful.)